Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Verisign Public DNS User FAQs

edited October 2015 in FAQs
1. What is Verisign’s Public DNS Service?

A free Recursive DNS resolution service that respects your privacy.

2. What is DNS?

The Domain Name System (DNS) ensures the availability of websites, email and Web systems by mapping domain names to Internet protocol (IP) addresses, for example, 123.45.67.254(IPv4) or 2001:503:A83:0:0:2:30(IPv6).

The DNS uses specialized servers to translate names such as www.Verisign.com into IP Addresses that allow data and information to reach its destination. This process, called DNS resolution, allows people to type more memorable domain names into a browser to reach websites and send email messages.

To learn more about DNS, the DNS resolution process, and its importance for effective functioning of the Internet, you can read How the Domain Name System (DNS) Works or check out our DNS 101 infographic.

3. What is a recursive DNS service, or what is a recursive resolver?

When you type a URL into your browser, for instance www.Verisign.com, your browser sends a query (a question seeking to match the domain name with its corresponding address) to a recursive resolver. The recursive resolver may be operated by your Internet service provider (ISP), your wireless carrier or a third party provider. The recursive resolver knows which other DNS servers it needs to ask to answer your original query.

4. Why should I care about what recursive DNS service I use?

A secure, stable and reliable recursive DNS service is an integral part of providing users unhindered access to the Internet. A recursive DNS service should serve its user accurate, unmodified answers and should have the following traits:

Stability – Verisign Public DNS leverages Verisign’s extensive experience and knowledge in the DNS Infrastructure.

An unstable Recursive DNS Service can result in an outage and no access to the Internet.

Security – Verisign Public DNS utilizes the same technology that has powered the .com and .net domain extensions for more than 18 years with 100 percent uptime.

An unsecure Recursive DNS Service may be unavailable and provide incorrect, or no, responses to user requests.

Privacy –Verisign Public DNS respects users’ rights to data privacy by not selling the data or serving any ads.

A Recursive Server knows a lot about a user’s surfing habits and a server that does not respect a user’s privacy may end up divulging a lot of information about the user.

5. How much are you charging for the Verisign Public DNS service?

The Verisign Public DNS Service can be used free of charge.

6. If there is no cost, what is the benefit to Verisign?

One of Verisign’s core operating principles is to be a good steward of the Internet. Providing the Verisign Public DNS service supports the overall ecosystem of DNS and solidifies end-user trust in the critical navigation that they have come to depend upon for their everyday interactions.

7. I am convinced, how do I signup?

Follow the steps outlined in the instructions.

8. I need help with Verisign Public DNS service, where do I go?

Please look at the Verisign Public DNS forum. There are many answered questions from users like you. If you cannot find an answer, please post your question on the forum.

9. How is Verisign’s Public DNS Service related to Verisign’s Recursive DNS Service and Verisign DNS Firewall?

Verisign Public DNS Service is an open free recursive DNS resolution service for general public use.

Verisign Recursive DNS is a platform best suited for an organization’s use.

Verisign DNS Firewall is built upon Verisign’s Recursive DNS product and is available for commercial fees. .

This discussion has been closed.